Sevai (coconut and tamarind flavoured)

Author: kittymatti / Labels:


Thengai Sevai and Puli Sevai

Recipe and Photo Courtesy: Padmini, Srinivasan (my parents)

In today's busy world, the best method to make sevai is to use the store bought dried instant sevai noodles,cook it in boiling water and garnish it suitably. If you want to make Sevai from the scratch, have a look at this recipe . My aunt Bhooma is an expert in making sevai from the scratch.

Sevai noodles from scratch

Ingredients:

1 cup boiled rice
salt, hing 4 dashes
3 tsp coconut oil

Soak boiled rice for 4 hrs. Drain, rinse and grind to a fine batter adding water. The batter should be like that of idly batter consistency. Add salt and hing to the batter and mix well. Heat coconut oil in a kadai, add the batter and stir continuously till dry and becomes like a ball. Pinch out tennis balls sized dough and place them in idly plates. Steam for 20 minutes. When the balls are still hot place them in a sevai press and press through till the noodles are collected at the base plate.

Coconut Sevai garnish:

4 cups fresh sevai/ cooked instant sevai
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp channa dal
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp peanuts
1 tsp broken cashews
1 cup coconut gratings
Salt to taste

If you are using instant sevai, cook the noodles in a hot pot of water and drain. Keep aside.
Add coconut oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds. Add the dals and nuts.
When the dals get brown, add 1 cup of coconut gratings and salt. Stir for a minute.
Add sevai noodles and mix evenly.
Serve with morkozhambu and vathal/vadam crispies.

Note: Boiled peas (handful) can be added as garnish

Tamarind Sevai Garnish:

4 cups sevai
2 tsp gingely oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp channa dal
1/2 tsp urad dal
salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp paeanuts
1 tsp broken cahews
1 sprig curry leaves
Pulikaichal paste 2 tbsp.

Add oil in a kadai, splutter mustard seeds
Add the dals, cashews and peanuts.
After the dals become golden brown, add 4 cups of fresh sevai and mix well. Add enough salt.
Add about 2 tbsp of Pulikaichal paste (puliyogare mix) and mix well till it spreads evenly.
Serve hot!

17 comments:

Renus Kitchen said...

I liked your recipe sevai noodles from scratch.....but I don't have noodle maker, any substitute for it in the US?

Vibaas said...

i love both versions and they look perfect!

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Hey,First time here. You have a lovely blog. The Tamarind sevai looks so yummy.Nice presentation.:).Do check my blog when u get some time.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Preethi i to do it ..looking so yummy dear.. It is our favourite too.. please send me some

kittymatti said...

Hi renu, Maybe u should try the ompudi acchu(press) of the regular press set. However, u will find difficulty in pressing the dough through those tiny holes.. I have not done it before, however, just thought of it as a substitute:)

Thnx dhanya vibaas and pavithra-would love to send u some!!

Nithya said...

Yummy yummy.. sevai is something that I used to enjoy eating from childhood. :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I love it! Yeah cant think of amking at home... Too tough... My mom makes them and I eat them...

Chitra said...

I love this made by my MIL..urs is looking good:)

kittymatti said...

thnx chitra, homecooked and nithya

Adlak's tiny world said...

my mom makes all kinds of sevai.. esply with morkulambu combo.. love yr versions. looks tempting dear.

Vrinda said...

Sevai from scratch,never had the courage to make this..thankx for sharing..looks so perfect

kittymatti said...

Thank u so much vrinda and adalk

Rika said...

wow..i never heard of home made rice noodles..this sounds interesting n yummy...would love to try it when I get back to India

kittymatti said...

wow... thaet would be great radhika

Priya said...

Just so unfair...it looks so yummy..right in front of me and yet I can't have it..auntyyyyy..don't tempt me like this!

Anonymous said...

ahh I was waitin for this from the day u told me abt it. nice click and it just reminds me of the kalyana veetu evening tiffin.

kittymatti said...

hehe, thnx munchy dear..

Post a Comment

Hi guys..

Try out these recipes and give me your feedback...

Followers