(recipe reposted with new picture)
This tiffin item reminds me of my friend Barathi.. For some reason, I always called him upma kozhakatai!
An intersting recipe.. Best way to make upma haters eat upma... I got this recipe from the scratch from my granny olly.
To make the upma kozhakattai odasal (base mix):
8 cups raw rice
1/2 cup toor dal
1 tbsp urad dal
2 tbsp jeera
Grind to a coarse powder like idly rava consistency ( finer than arisi upma odasal)
To make Upmakozhakattai:
1 tbsp toor dal
2 green chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp channa dal
2 red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt, hing 4 dashes
2 cups water
1 cup odasal (refer above)
Soak toor dal and green chillies for 1/2 hr. Remove and grind to a smooth paste.
Add oil in a kadai, splutter mustard seeds. Add channa dal, urad dal, curry leaves and red chillies.
When the dals get brown, add water, add salt, hing, dal-chillil paste.
Allow it to come to a boil. Add the odasal, briskly stirring the mixture with the other hand. Close and cook till soft and done.
Roll out tiny balls and shape it like oval kozhakattais (like an egg). Place it on idly plates and steam for 12 minutes. Serve with onion-brinjal ghotsu and thengai/ coconut thogayal!
This recipe representing TN state goes to State Specials event hosted by Shanti
I thank Nithya, Padma, Hema and Ramya for the Kreative blog award. Thank you so much guys! Im really honoured!
The rules for this award are :
1. You must thank the person who has given you the award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who has nominated you for the award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 other Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on which of the blogs to let them know they have been nominated.
Here are 7 things about myself
1. I enjoy cooking and love to see ppl eat well. I enjoy eating too (obviously).
2. I love socializing and enjoy people oriented activities.
3. I am a restless person, cannot sit idle. I just need to do something or atleast sleep!
4. I cannot manage without 8 hours of sleep and frequent meals.
5. I try my best to please everybody, not that I am successful all the time :)
6. I always wish for and dream of the most ideal situation where everything is nice and rosy.. Everything should be happy, everyone should be nice... Like a typical Vikraman movie (If u watch Tamil movies directed by him, u should get the pic :) hahaha)
7. Like most cancerians, my interests keep varying almost every month.. I can never have a single all time hobby!
Karthikeyan of the Best Hangout
Sowmya of Visit my Kitchen
Deesha of Vegetable Platter
Shanti of Shanti Krishnakumar's cookbook
Mahimaa of Indian Vegetarian Kitchen
Avisha of Simply Sindhi Recipes
Ammu of Nature Kitchen
Please pass this to another new set of creative bloggers
Thank u Nithya, Padma, Hema, Ramya again!