Sepankezhangu/ Arvi / Arbi

Author: kittymatti / Labels:

My favourite vegetable. The best part is that I like both sepankazhangu roast and fry. We call this dish as our family symbol/trademark. Every Sunday, all our relatives make sepankezhangu compulsorily (preferably fry and roast). It is almost like a strict tradition!!

I remember the days in my uncle/aunt's house at Bangalore. I lived with them for about 2 1/2 years when I was in my Engineering college. The aroma of Sepankezhangu fry would be my wake up call (at about 10 am only). As soon as I have my coffee, my uncle would come running to my room to give me fresh sepankezhangu fry! My aunt and her mom (Moiamma) would meanwhile make mouth watering karuvepalai molagu kozhambu, avial and parupu rasam to go with it. Every Sunday was a big feast with the entire family on the dining table with my aunt, uncle and my aunt's parents :) :)


Sepankezhangu Roast:


Sepankezhangu Roast
Photo courtesy: My Parents

Ingredients

1 kg Sepankezhangu
salt, chilli powder to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
8 tbsp oil ( I mix both regular oil and gingely oil)
1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp concentrated tamarind extract ( dilute with 2 tbsp water).......my mom's speciality-makes the sepankezhangu taste a million times better
3 sprigs curry leaves finely chopped .....my uncle's speciality, enhances flavour to a great extent.

Boil whole sepankezhangus in a pressure cooker. Peel the skin off with hands and cut into pieces and keep aside. Add oil in a big kadai, splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, when it becomes golden brown, add chopped curry leaves and tamarind extract. Add the cut sepankezhangus and mix well. Leave it for 2 min. Then add salt, turmeric and chilli powder. Mix again. Leave it unclosed and allow it to cook for the first 10 min. Later, reduce the flame and continue to cook closed till golden and crispy. Yummm!! I already feel like eating it...

The sad part is that, in the US, the sepankezhangu called as taro root tastes bad (until it is really fresh). Infact all the veggies are so tasteless..Ofcourse carrots and beans are an exception, but they are so boring... The Indian variety is so much better. Maybe you can use the frozen arvi from Indian store... However you must be careful to cook it in low flame for a long time.. Kinda boring.. I buy both :)

Sepankezhangu Fry:

Sepankezhangu Fry

Ingredients:


1/2 kg sepankezhangu
salt to taste
3 tsp chilli powder
6 tbsp besan
3 tbsp rice flour
1 tbsp corn flour (optional)
oil for deep fry

Boil whole sepankezhangus in a pressure cooker. Peel off the skin and cut into small pieces. Transfer them to a bowl and add besan, rice flour. Mix evenly such that all the pieces are well coated. Deep fry in small batches in med-high flame. The end point is when the kezhangus feel light and the oil bubbling reduces. The sepankezhangus will be golden brown. Drain out excess oil in a stainless steel colander. Add enough salt and chilli powder on the entire batch and mix well. Sepankezhangus absorb a lot of salt. So a little excess salt and chilli powder makes the arvi / sepankezhangu taste better.. Believe me, it is so addictive, you cannot stop with just one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys..

Try out these recipes and give me your feedback...

Followers