Rava Upma

Author: kittymatti / Labels: ,

Rava Upma

Photo Courtesy: My Parents

The most boring tiffin. Everyone's dreaded breakfast/ tiffin :) haha.. . I would make it a point to eat outside if I knew that the evening tiffin was rava upma...After my wedding, I have hardly had the opportunity to make upma as my husband hates it any form.. Slowly I started missing it and today, I am a big upma fan! Sorry ma :) ...

Ingredients:

Rava 1 cup (If u r in the USA, buy the coarse rava/ sooji, else your upma is sure to flop)
3 cups water (if you want it like a kichadi) or just 2 1/2 cups (if u like a powdery upma)
1 small tomato (optional)
3/4 cup chopped onion
4 tbsp peas- optional
5 tsp oil
3-4 green chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste, hing 3 dashes
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp channa dal
1 tsp broken cashews
1/4 tsp turmeric (if you like yr upma yellowish)
chopped coriander- for garnishing

Dry roast rava till it feels light and just starts to brown. (to get rid of the excess moisture). Keep aside. Add oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, cashews, green chillies, curry leaves and fry till brown. Add chopped onions, tomatoes, peas and fry till onions are glassy. Add water, hing, turmeric, salt. When it boils well, simmer and add the rava, constantly stirring with the other hand. Keep closed and cook till well done. Garnish with copped coriander. Serve with coconut chutney and lemon pickle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys..

Try out these recipes and give me your feedback...

Followers